The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were not actually invited to join Queen Elizabeth II at Balmoral Castle this summer, multiple sources have told the New York Post’s Page Six.
The bombshell revelation comes after the UK newspaper The Sun on Sunday reported that the 96-year-old had extended an olive branch to the couple.
A castle staff member claimed they had been told “to expect the full list of royals including Harry, Meghan and their children Archie and Lilibet”.
But a number of insiders have seemingly debunked the report, confirming to Page Six that the Sussexes are not on the guest list and will not be accompanying the Queen on her annual Scottish summer holiday.
The 96-year-old arrived in the Highlands of Scotland on Thursday and will be joined by other family members in the seven-bedroom Craigowan Lodge during her 10-week stay.
Her Majesty likes to spend her summer at the castle surrounded by her family.
Last year, Prince William and Kate Middleton visited with their three children Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Princess Eugenie, the Queen’s granddaughter, described the castle as the “most beautiful place in the world”.
“I think Granny is the happiest there. I think she really, really loves the Highlands,” she said.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle last saw the Queen in June for her Platinum Jubilee, however they reportedly spent just 15 minutes with her in a “quick” and “formal” meeting.
“It was a quick in-and-out job. It was all quite formal,” a source told The Sun.
The couple’s trip to the United Kingdom marked the first time the Queen met her great-granddaughter Lilibet, who was named after her childhood nickname.
According to Page Six Meghan and Harry will instead remain in the United States while awaiting the release of Duke’s bombshell memoir, which is set to hit bookstores by Thanksgiving.